This is one of my favorite quick, easy, and healthy dinners. Basically, it tastes like a rotisserie chicken, but is cooked in a crock-pot. Perfect! Have dinner waiting when you get home. A quick web search will turn up numerous variations of this recipe. But, however you season it, you get juicy, tender, fall off the bone meat, that requires about 10 minutes of work. Delicious! Adapted from Yummy in My Tummy.
You will need:
- Crock-pot (large enough to hold a whole chicken)
- 1 whole chicken (~5lbs is perfect for my pot)
- Aluminum foil
- Seasoning of choice (any flavor you like)
- Fresh herbs (optional- such as rosemary or oregano)
- Make 3-4 balls of aluminum foil (~2in diameter) and place them in the bottom of the crock-pot. The chicken will sit on these so it's not stewing in its own juices.
- Rub chicken with you choice of seasoning and salt. Lift the skin up and get the seasoning between the chicken and the meat.
- Put garlic under the skin, along with any fresh herbs you desire.
- Place the chicken in the crock-pot breast side up.
- Cook on low for ~8hours. All crock-pots cook a bit differently, so you may want to check with a meat thermometer that your bird is up to 165 degrees.
That's it! Super easy. Enjoy! Keep the juices and chicken carcass to make chicken stock.