The series calls physical inactivity a global pandemic, and insists that it should be a public health priority. Here's to hoping that this series will be a call to action, encouraging more research on the subject of inactivity, educating people on the benefits of exercise, and inspiring people to push for policies that make it easier for people to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Interesting Points from the Series
- Physical inactivity is the 4th leading cause of death
- Physical inactivity increase the risk of several chronic diseases including:
- coronary heart disease
- type 2 diabetes
- breast and colon cancer
- Physical inactivity shortens life expectancy- inactivity causes 9% of premature mortality
- Physical inactivity seems to have adverse health affects similar in severity to obesity and smoking (which we all know are major health concerns)
- Inactivity increases with age
- Females are more inactive than males (come on ladies...let's show the men how it's done)
So, what are you waiting for? Lace up those running shoes, and head out the door.