Sunday, July 29, 2012

Garlic and Mushroom Kale


I've been trying to add more fruits and veggies to my diet, and I figured the best way to do that is to add more variety. So, I'm trying some new recipes with veggies I don't usually eat. I have a hard time getting enough leafy greens, so I started there. First up: kale.

What's so great about kale? It's low in calories and high in fiber, perfect for weight loss. Additionally, it has high levels of iron, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and is chock full of antioxidants. Is doesn't get much better than that. I really don't like raw kale, so I was a bit leery of cooking with it. But, this recipe is great and simple. Adapted from Food and Wine.

Ingredients
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic 
1 lb kale
8oz sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper (optional to taste)

Directions
  1. Heat olive oil.
  2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
  3. Add chicken stock.
  4. Add chopped kale leaves and mushrooms.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Cover and cook on medium heat until kale is tender (~5 min).
  7. Remove lid and allow any extra liquid to evaporate.
  8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment