Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Dangers of Physical Inactivity



Do you need some extra motivation to get you through your workout today? Well I've got it. The Lancet recently published a series on physical inactivity. It's great stuff, and with the Olympic games underway it's the perfect time to emphasize the importance of exercise. The Olympics should be the epitome of physical activity. However, the editorial Chariots of Fries notes that three major sponsors of the games are junk food giants McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and Cadbury's. Ironic, no?

The series calls physical inactivity a global pandemic, and insists that it should be a public health priority. Here's to hoping that this series will be a call to action, encouraging more research on the subject of inactivity, educating people on the benefits of exercise, and inspiring people to push for policies that make it easier for people to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Interesting Points from the Series
  • Physical inactivity is the 4th leading cause of death
  • Physical inactivity increase the risk of several chronic diseases including:
    • coronary heart disease
    • type 2 diabetes
    • breast and colon cancer
  • Physical inactivity shortens life expectancy- inactivity causes 9% of premature mortality
  • Physical inactivity seems to have adverse health affects similar in severity to obesity and smoking (which we all know are major health concerns)
  • Inactivity increases with age
  • Females are more inactive than males (come on ladies...let's show the men how it's done)

So, what are you waiting for? Lace up those running shoes, and head out the door.

3 comments:

  1. I've been hearing so much about this lately and I sit on my butt ALL day long at work. I try to make it a point to get up and walk around every so often but the majority of the day is spent in a chair.

    Thanks for giving me the extra push I needed to go to the gym after work today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree - it is really dangerous to be physically inactive. I read somewhere that the more one sits down the more likely they are to develop certain diseases and even die sooner than people who are active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting motivation and energy for regular trainings is one of the most important things in sports. When I started going to the gym I was experiencing lack of endurance, but then I've tried one awesome nutritional supplement which helped me to train more effectively. It was Navy Seal Formula, which I've ordered at h t t p: //amzn.to/Y0uraF. I've gained impressive results within just a month, and now I feel fit like never before!

    ReplyDelete